Data security has become increasingly important as technology has evolved. In the early days of computing, data was mostly stored on physical media such as disks and tapes. However, with the growth of the internet and cloud computing, data is now stored in digital form and can be accessed from anywhere in the world.
With so many ways in which data can be stolen or accessed inappropriately, businesses and organizations need to ensure they employ the right security methods to keep their data safe from cybercriminals who may want to exploit it.
This list shows the top 5 greatest data breaches of all time arranged by the number of people affected:
- In 2013, hackers accessed the account information of 3 billion Yahoo users.
- In 2009, a developer working for Alibaba stole information from 1.1 billion users, including usernames and mobile numbers.
- In 2021, a hacker named “God User” stole information from 700 million LinkedIn users posting it on the black market.
- In 2020, Sina Weibo, one of China’s largest social media platforms, was the victim of a cyber attack with an impact of 538 million accounts from its database being exposed by a hacker.
- In 2019, Facebook suffered an attack that resulted in more than 530 million Facebook users’ information being exposed on the internet.
Target Data Breach
Every data security company is aware of the data breach at Target. This data breach occurred in 2013, with over 70 million people affected. The data obtained included credit card numbers, names, PINs, phone numbers, and email addresses. The cost of this data breach neared $252 Million.
This data breach has made data security companies much more visible and essential. Target is not the only company with a data breach, but this case helps to illustrate our point.
Data Security In The Digital Age
Between the recent data breaches and the talk of data security, there’s no question that it’s important to have a company that knows enough about data security. In today’s modern world, data breaches can affect billions of people.
Whether you’re a small business that handles credit cards or a business that handles relevant information about customers and employees, you need data security services from a reliable company that can manage this for you.
A data security company can help you protect your data from being accessed by unauthorized individuals. They will help to encrypt your data, so it can be unreadable in case hackers find a way to obtain it. They will also help monitor your data and track any activity on your data files. Having a data security company is essential to protecting your company.
Discover What Upstart Cyber Can Do For You
Cyber-attacks can be thwarted by Upstart Cyber’s plans, which ensure that any potential vulnerabilities are found and removed before an attack takes place. These plans also ensure that all updates made to your site are regularly completed, so you can rest assured that your information is safe.
To ensure that you never have to pay hackers for your data, we help you create backups, train your team, set up a firewall, and more.